Thursday, May 1, 2014

Blog Post #9: Reel and Artist Statement

Hello all. Here is my reel. My artist statement is below it.


Lauren Musgrove Reel Spring 2014 from Lauren Musgrove on Vimeo.


I acted in my first play when I was 4 years old. Since then I fell in love with acting which led me to film acting and then to filmmaking itself. I fell in love with the art of make believe and also of see it how it is; of sharing the world through a certain lens to discover something new.

I think the world is a really beautiful place depending on how you look at it. In my filmmaking I try to share this beauty. Even the "ugliest" of things like a trash can is still a representation of human life. The way light shines on all these things stops me in my tracks nearly every day just awing at it. I love seeing new places and new things. The world is endless. I like to film many places around the world. I thoroughly enjoy talking to people of different cultures and widening my perspective and making connections. By putting these stories into videos has the possibility to widen other people's perspectives as well and hopefully give humanity a larger acceptance window to bring about peace and happiness. Also creating an artistic vision tells a story as a more emotional, visual, and audial experience instead of just listening to someone talk about their life. I think both genres are important.

I hope to become a prominent member of a production team on documentaries and narratives alike. This world is full of stories and in the age of Globalization it's very important that we understand what the human condition is and that everyone on this planet has it. In the age of an environmental crisis, it's important that we appreciate our world and what it has to offer us. These, and the simple results of entertainment, laughter, and bringing people together in discussion and common experience is what makes me love being a filmmaker.

15 comments:

  1. I really love your reel Lauren! Your artist statement and reel is truly and inspiring story all together!!! Looking forward to more stuff from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reel was awesome! I'd like to know how you got some of the shots like the house on the hill. Can't wait to see more of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing, you truly have a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, really beautiful wide shots (from your travels I presume). I Also like the way you handle the light from candles...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! That's an incredible reel! Truly gorgeous nature shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shots were interesting, varied, and definitely intriguing! My favorite was the pan out from the house on the hill (I presume you were on some sort of chair lift... if so then way to use your surroundings to your advantage!). My only issue was that at the end, your song that worked so perfectly kind of jarred to a halt. I would think about possibly fading it out. Overall, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've put some beautiful shot in your reel, nice variety too. I think it really shows off how well you use a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love your artist statement. And your reel fits it perfectly. And how in the world did you get those amazing castle/ cliff shots? Where was that?? I really love that you talked about seeing the world and then included shots that were clearly foreign. I have to agree with Maci though and say my only problem with your reel is the ending. The song ends too suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great shots! You have shot a lot of diverse things and really know how to compose and light your shots. Great choice in music, gotta love Bon Iver. Keep shooting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is the most beautiful reel I've watched so far. The mixture of wide, medium, and close-up shots is great, and your lighting was fantastic for all of them. Music matched the tone perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The landscape shots fit perfectly with your aims in the artist statement. It was nice to see some real wide shots. Sometimes the world is better scene from that perspective, you can take in the whole picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty! I would definitely hire you. The music was great and the shots were so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES LAUREN YES.

    Your shots were absolutely beautiful! Your music choice was perfect! Your artist statement was so inspirational! Everything totally worked together, and it made me want to work with you on something immediately!! I am just in awe of how great everything was!! JOB. WELL. DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you guys so much!!! I think I will try and fade out the ending, thanks for the suggestion. Also to answer some of y'alls questions. The shot of the castle and train was from a moving boat down the Rhine river in Rudesheim, Germany. There was something like 14 castles along the river and Rudesheim is famous for their vineyards! So that's the bright green/yellow plants you see. The zoom out shot of the house and mountains was in Interlaken, Switzerland, and yes on a chair lift like Maci said! That was the only way up the mountain! The cliff shot was also from a moving boat but it was in Capri, Italy which is basically an island of cliffs. Thanks again for all the supportive comments, y'all were a great class!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete